As you’ve probably (hopefully) already read in my complete guide to all of the USA-Mexico festivities occurring in Columbus in the lead up to the big game, there’s a lot of stuff going on. But if you’re not getting into town until the day of the match, it’s likely that you’re really only concerned about tailgating. And rightfully so: it’s a freaking blast.
But with multiple tailgates on tap spread out over the parking lot and even outside of the stadium grounds, where is a fan to head? Well, worry not USA fans… once again, Wrong Side of the Pond has you covered.
A joint venture between local Columbus fans, the Sam’s Army supporters group, my good friend Free Beer Movement and myself, the USA Mega Tailgate aims to serve any American fan that wants to party before the match in the lot as opposed to offsite. And we’ll be just a short walk away from the stadium’s main lot and the US Soccer Fan Zone on the Southeast side of the stadium right against Black & Gold Boulevard (see the map to the below). But what makes our tailgate so great, aside from close proximity to the stadium? I thought you’d never ask.
- Things will kickoff officially at 12 noon, about two hours before the AO Party at 4th Street Patio Bar & Grill offsite.
- Though a BYOB and BYOF (bring your own food) affair, we’ll have numerous grills set up so you can cook your tailgating favorites.
- I’ll have a Wrong Side of the Pond tent set up on the Western edge of the tailgate, where you’ll have a chance to win a shirt of your choice from the WSOTP Shop!
- But the real jewel of the tailgate has to be the first ever Free Beer Movement Exchange Tent! So what exactly is the deal with this?
- Bring a 4-, 6- or 12-pack of your favorite craft beer. Beer that originates from your home state is preferred. Please leave your domestic lite stuff at home.
- Drop off your beer contribution at the Free Beer Movement Exchange Tent at USA Mega Tailgate (look for signage and the FBM flag).
- Each beer you contribute gets you one ticket which can be redeemed for access to the designated beer exchange coolers throughout the duration of the tailgate, or until all beer is gone.
- Limit one beer per person, per visit to the tent. As you might expect, you must be 21+ to participate, and please drink responsibly.
- If you want to participate, comment on the Facebook Event or send an email to email@example.com.
Now try and tell me you can find a better tailgate than that. Warning: you can’t. There’s no sense in even trying!
So be sure to swing by the tailgate starting at 12 noon the day of the game for a chance to meet myself, Free Beer Movement and few hundred of your fellow fans and celebrate in style at the USA Mega Tailgate. And be sure to join the event on Facebook by clicking here. See you out there!